Monday, November 28, 2005

Why is MY life "unbelievable"?

I'm relatively new to the blog world, and having read a few (ok...I'm addicted!), I'm beginning to think that my life may not be so "unbelievable", but it is still note-worthy, entertaining and sometimes quite strange. Here's a brief list of odd facts:

1) I have 5 children...not so odd you say? Three from my first marriage (to Scott), a Phi Sigma Kappa I met at Georgia Tech in Spring 1987, and two from my second marriage (to Matt), a Phi Sigma Kappa I met at Georgia Tech in Spring 1987. (Still not enough?)
2) The last two children were conceived with a man with no living sperm (allegedly, and no, there was not any funny business with the milk man or UPS guy...but thanks, I've heard all the ones about "what can BROWN do for you?" wink, wink.)
3) I was adopted as an infant. When I was a 30-year-old-single-mother-of-three, my birth mother tracked me down and promptly moved here from another state to get to know me. (There's enough in this story for an entire blog.)
4) My grandfather played a role in the UFO cover-up in Roswell, New Mexico in 1947.
5) I've often said that I could be on 9 out of 10 Oprah Winfrey shows. Occassionally, raising teenagers makes me think that I could end up on Jerry Springer one day... they'll tell me I'm there for a makeover.
6) While my husband would LOVE to run the Amazing Race, and he'd make it to the jury on Survivor, I'VE actually considered filling out paperwork for Extreme Makeover. My only problem is well.... childcare for that 6 weeks... hmmmm.
7) At 35, I shaved my head completely bald (or rather, my children cut off my ponytails and my husband took a razor to my scalp) the same week my aunt began chemotherapy for stage IV breast cancer.
8) My father (the adoptive one who raised me for 25 years) is still thinking about whether or not I have his permission to marry my first husband. I am still waiting for his phone call to have the lunch he promised right after he divorced my mom in 1992. He's so anxious to have this lunch that he changed his name to the last name of his girlfriend, got an unlisted AND unpublished phone number, and simply vanished.
9) I have 5 half siblings who refuse to acknowledge my existence. I have one half sibling who is a delight and makes my heart warm every time I talk to him.
10) One of my most cherished possessions is a goat-skin tambourine that some villagers in Jamaica made for me when I was there on a mission trip in 1987.
11) My favorite thing about having five children is that I can look into their eyes and see who I am, where I came from, where I'm going. I can also see the depth of love I've had for two very different men. As I hold their gazes across the dinner table or a crowded room, I have no regrets about my life up to this point, only tremendous hope for their futures.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Pick a number between 1 and 10...just so I know where to start!
Thanks,
susan

3:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt?

6:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home