Saturday, January 21, 2006

From Mr. Leon

January 20, 2006

Mrs. Savid,

I would like to take this opportunity to explain the format of our lesson on communities. Teaching the unit on communities is one of the topics that I most enjoy because it provides the kids with a forum to discuss and ask questions about the various jobs and businesses that are important to our community. Many kids at this age do not know what their parents do for a living or even where their parents go to work while they are here at school.

On Tuesday, after concluding our reading of the 3 types of communities and jobs associated with each community, I led the kids in a discussion about what types of jobs and businesses make up each community. For example, we read and discussed farming as an important job in a rural community. In an urban community, we discussed the role of policemen and office professionals. We discussed the importance of small business owners in a suburban community.

After this decision, I asked the kids what jobs their parents had and where they went to work each day. Several kids were able to tell me the general field of work. "Something with computers..." was a common theme. My follow up question was related to where their parents went to work. Did they leave our suburban community and commute to Atlanta, an Urban community? Did they travel to a rural community? Did they work right here in Smithtown? Again, many of the kids were not sure where their parents went to work. They did not know what their parent's job responsibilities were, what their schedule entails, or even how long they were gone during the day. Also discussed was why their parents went to work. The most common answer was to earn money for their families.

We concluded our Tuesday lesson by brainstorming a list of questions on the board that the kids felt were important to ask their parents about their jobs. Students were then to choose one of their parents to "interview" as a means of starting a discussion with the parent about what they did for a living. Wednesday the kids were excited to tell the class about the jobs of their parents. I did in fact stress to the class that they could choose either parent who went to work while they were at school.

The focus of my lesson was aimed at informing the kids about various jobs that adults can have and why these jobs are important to families and communities. It was my hope that parents would use the interview as a platform to discuss their jobs and to help explain to the kids what they did, where they went to work and why. I will admit that the important job of being a stay at home parent was not discussed. My mother stayed at home for several years until my younger sister completed elementary school. There is no other person on this earth that I love and respect more than my mom.

I am guilty of not expanding my discussion to emphasize the important job and responsibilities of the parent who supports their family and community by using their time to raise their kids, support their spouse, and even volunteer in our schools and community. Would you be willing to come to our class and tell the kids about your job as you stay home to raise and support your family? The kids would enjoy hearing you personally describe what you do to support them and the community while they are here at school. Please understand my intent was not to belittle the work you do or make it seem unimportant.

I discussed with my principal, Dr. So-and-so (female), the content of the lesson and your letter. If you would like to discuss this further I will be happy to discuss this matter further with you in person.

Sincerely,

Mr. Leon


Can you believe this guy??? Was the apology in there, and I just missed it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home